Draw Along 2, Portrait 3

Still not sure if I’m doing this correctly by making a new topic for each drawing :woman_shrugging:t2:… but, here’s my #3 guy! I used my fine Bic 4-color, the 1.0 Bic 4-color, and a tiny bit of white pastel pencil on gray toned paper.

Loving the course so far!

9 Likes

This works and a new topic makes sense!
Bravo on this one!

2 Likes

Right or not, I’m here for the art work! Another wonderful piece. The expression well captured!

3 Likes

Portrait 3 with Wolffs carbon in moleskine sketchbook. Awaiting big storms to move in here in OKC, so what better way to calm your nerves than to draw!

6 Likes

This is great! Stay safe—hope the storms aren’t too bad there!

1 Like

Thank you, Judy. They just now moved in. We have a storm shelter, but our German shepherds are too old to get in it so we will probably just hide in the closet.

3 Likes

I couldn’t find the black 1.6 BIC-pen, so tried a Staedtler triplus ball XB. It was difficult to stay light, which was the advice from France. The result was too detailed to my taste with too sharp outlines. That’s why I tried a smaller version with a blue 1.6 BIC-pen. They could be twins…

5 Likes

Very nice drawings, Kyra!

Thanks! I found the chin area challenging. Yours is more connected to the surroundings.
Up to the next one.
Hope your save.

1 Like

I’ve never heard of Wollfs carbon; had to look it up.
Do you like to draw with them? Is it like graphite or charcoal? Is it messy like charcoal?

I do like to draw with them. I would say they’re between graphite and charcoal. You can vary weight of line easily, and even use water with them a bit to make a wash. Not as messy as charcoal.

1 Like

That sounds like a good substitute for charcoal if you don’t like the charcoaldust.
Do you spray your drawings with fixative or is the smudging to the opposite page comparable to graphite?

1 Like

I like France’s idea of using t.racing paper between pages. I don’t use fixatives, especially not in a sketchbook. The only fixative I have is old and has a strong smell and certainly wouldn’t want to smell it every time I open a sketchbook. Wolff’s carbon doesn’t smear nearly as much as charcoal

2 Likes

Thanks for the information. I’ll give it a try, just for fun.

1 Like

I’m going to try using my Mars Lumograph carbon pencils on number 8!

2 Likes

hope you weathered the weather ok!

1 Like

Yes, Oklahoma landed some bad tornados, but missed us. We live close to OKC. Downtown Sulphur was flattened, At last count this morning, there were 27 tornados, with three fatalities. Thank you so much for checking on me!

2 Likes

that sounds like a lot. glad you’ve made it through ok. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Wolff’s Carbon! I had never seen this type of pencil before! Beautiful results — some mighty bold lines! :heart:

1 Like

Spraying pages of a sketchbook would probably make them buckle, right?

1 Like