Draw Along 2, Portrait 3

Thank you, France. Like graphite and charcoal different weights are available. My fav is 2B. You can vary the pressure to get a lovely line.

Makes sense. I rarely use fixative, and then perhaps quite sparingly on a pastel drawing. I like your idea of tracing paper between sketchbook pages. To tell the truth, my sketchbooks tend to be messy anyway, so I don’t mind a bit of smearing :wink:.

i’m liking the expression you captured. I’ve not used the wolfs carbon before. love the graphite. Hope the storm was not too bad!

1 Like

it does. i do use fixative spray on my graphite drawing just cause i’m a messy person. after i spray, i’ll lay my handbound sketchbook (only a few pages of bristols) under the book press overnite to keep it flat again. Works so far. The buckling is a lot less if the paper is thicker

2 Likes

Impressive! I dont think i can reproduce two drawings that look similar! I get what you mean with the staedtler. Some pens just dont give us the line variation and values.

2 Likes

Storms on Saturday were quite bad. They missed us, but at last count this morning there were 35 tornados, a couple of them EF4, which is severe, and four fatalities so far. They are calling for more tornados Wednesday and Thursday. We are really hoping they are wrong. Sometimes they are.

I tried a very light spray of fixative on portrait 2 in the moleskine sketchbook and didn’t see any buckling issues.

1 Like

A friend was flipping through one of my sketchbooks once, and they stopped at a graphite drawing, said how much they liked it, then ran all five fingers back-and-forth over it several times.

It was mortifying.

Lesson: learnt.

2 Likes

I think I gave this guy a Ben Franklin vibe. Trying to stay light was challenging for this one.

4 Likes

It was hard for me to stay light and loose on this one. The black BIC wanted to spread the ink and I wanted to tighten up the detail. But a very good lesson.

6 Likes

I finally took the time to start watching an another video. I really loved doing this one. I noticed I it is different from how I approach my portraits these days. That’s why enjoying following along Frances video so much. She tackles things different (read better) than how I do it.

4 Likes

Really nice result! I agree with your comment on Frances videos. For myself I thought portrait drawing is magical, beyond my skills. Somehow France makes it work for me.
Because of the heatwave as less bodymovement as possible is required. What better to do then just drawing. The free video of folds in fabric comes just at the right moment. The sketch of the bag is already made in pencil; tomorrow start of the crosshatching?

4 Likes