Favorite Drawing Tools

I thought it would be fun to start a topic about some of our favorite drawing tools. This photo sampling of mine includes my Bic 4-colors (thin and medium), my PaperMate InkJoy and Profiles (I included the browns here which, drooly as they are, I absolutely love the color), my 2H and mechanical pencils (2B and HB), my white Gelly Roll pens, my trusty white pastel pencil, my compass/measuring thingy, the thin Tombow Mono Zero eraser (can’t live without it), kneaded rubber eraser and a white eraser (not sure of the name, a representative of the Blackwing family, a good ol’ No. 2 pencil and finally my fine liners. I’m sure I left out a lot, but these are my main “go-tos.” I haven’t even touched on papers! What are some of your favs?

3 Likes

A divider; I must have one of those laying around somewhere. Wondering if that would help me get proportions more accurate…

1 Like

Nice topic. I’ve not a long history in drawing (2 years now) so I’m still searching what tools (and paper!) I like. As there were no pencils in the house (how was that possible?), I ordered some online during the C-period. They didn’t send me the simple set I ordered but the Faber Castell Pitt Graphite Matt. So that’s what I used most. I like the darkness you can get, although they are a bit soft and dull quickly. The kneedable eraser (also from Faber Castell because another brand did not erase) and the flat Tombow Mono Zero eraser. Off course coloured BIC-pens (1.0 and 1.6 mm). I think the 4-colored ones are to thick for my likings, otherwise they would be on the list because of the looks.
A 3-D printed scale divider, Ipad and a tablet stand to put the Ipad on, but also to tilt the paper slightly. A daylightlamp and 'drawing’glasses for the older eyes.

1 Like

I didn’t include my iPad and Procreate, but yes, that’s definitely super important in my drawing toolkit!

Divider! I keep forgetting the name for that—I just always call it a “thingy!” :joy: It has most definitely helped me with proportions!

2 Likes

Besides the BiCs, Microns and pencils that France recommends, I use a couple of fountain pans, some with watersoluble and some with waterproof inks. I also use wolff’s carbon pencils occasionally, and maybe a touch of black or white Conte or white charcoal. I probably have enough pencils and pens to open an Art Supply store! Can’t resist!

5 Likes

Forgive my ignorance, but what is a divider?

Aren’t art supplies BEAUTIFUL?! :heart_eyes: I haven’t used my fountain pen in ages. I never could get it to behave for me. I suppose I should keep trying!

1 Like

In my photo I posted, it’s the thingy (see, I can’t call it a divider! Haha) next to the Mono Zero eraser. It looks like a compass, but instead of a pencil lead coming out of one of the tips, both tips have the sharp point. It’s used to “measure” and gauge proportion.

1 Like

Oh! I’ve not seen one before. I might have to find one! The fountain pens I use most are the Fude type. In addition to the thick, thin lines, I. like to put a bit of water next to the line to make a wash sometimes. Just playing. Nothing serious.

1 Like

Kinda like this

2 Likes

Oh that’s really cool. Is that on watercolor paper or regular paper?

1 Like

Thanks! Just the small, thin Moleskine notebook.

1 Like

I have a question for the BIC-pen lovers. Honestly I wasn’t searching for a 4-color BIC but I stumbled upon a KID/mini 4 color ball pen. Used it for portrait Draw along 2.7 which felt a little awkward but not uncomfortable.
My question is: what is the difference with a ‘normal’ BIC pen 1.0 point?

1 Like

Haven’t seen a mini version. Send a photo of it? Sounds interesting.

So the Bic 4-color fine point is .8mm, the 4-color “regular” is 1mm and the Bic Cristal Bold is 1.6mm. I also use the Papermate Profile Ball which are 1.4mm and the PaperMate Ink Joys which are 1mm. I lean towards starting a drawing with the fine point (.8) and moving up to the thicker pens as I go.

1 Like

Here it is. I don’t know if it is just shorter or also has a smaller circumference as I don’t own a regular 4-color.

2 Likes

Oh that’s so cute! Definitely shorter than a regular 4-color

3 Likes

I love the looks of the 4-color pens but they have the same fillings as a regular BIC pen. So it is just your preference of holding the 4-color ones. The cristal bold is definitely bold, which comes in handy when filling a larger dark space. Now you’ve got me thinking of a 1.4 mm.

ETA I’m not sure if you know the 1.0 mm BIC pen. In the Netherlands that’s the one we used as a kid in school.

1 Like

Cute! Definitely shorter.

1 Like