Draw Along 2, Portrait #8

All the shadows! This was like a puzzle and I was determined to solve it. Lots of pencils involved again—2H, HB mechanical, and my Mars Lumograph carbons…along with my white pastel pencil of course! All on gray toned paper.

9 Likes

Totally lovely and amazing, Judy!

2 Likes

Fab, all of it. You captured her and all those shadows so well. It’s 3D

2 Likes

Again a beautiful portrait. Sadly enough you have only 1 portrait left!
Did you like your Mars Lumograph carbons? Was it used only for the shade of the hair?

1 Like

Thanx! They were ok—I used them for the majority of this one. I couldn’t keep them sharp enough (for my liking) so I went in with some mechanical pencil.

1 Like

Thx dear! 3D is goals!

Are you happy with the results?? Boy, you really nailed the shadows on her face, and the darks in the shadow. that tiny frown above her brow captures that gaze so perfectly.

2 Likes

I prefer using graphite also, and just occasionally use the carbon pencil. It is fun that the two of them are compatible. This really is a lovely, lovely drawing, Judy!

1 Like

I do like the way this one turned out! It was iffy for a long while. Especially the eye area!

I find myself mixing pencils and pens more and more often these days!

1 Like

I love that idea! If you don’t mind me asking, where do you use what?

I mix the different sized Bics (thin, medium and Cristal) and 2 different sized PaperMates (Profile & Ink Joy) usually depending on how much detail I want to get. Most of the time I only use the Cristals for backgrounds because for the life of me, I can’t get thin lines with those suckers! Haha!

1 Like

Thank you! I’ll try that.

1 Like

Portrait #8. I’ve had this Staedtler Mars Lumograph black 4B pencil for awhile and thought I would try it out on this portrait. I like it. Not as messy as regular graphite and a lot less shine.

4 Likes

Been busy in the garden. Today is a rainy day so finally got around finishing portait 8. The hair took some time, but fun to do.

4 Likes

I was trying to figure out what to do with the neck and it didn’t work so out came the eraser.

4 Likes

Nice shadows! And I like how you incorporated the neck area.

1 Like

Thanks. I found it difficult to decide if the hair should be darker than the shadow of the hair. Being brave after a few days I made the hair darker (left picture). The hair with it shadows look better now (to my opinion) but I shouldn’t have darkened the chin area. Your shadows in the face are nice coherent.

Draw along with France 2.8 darker

3 Likes

This is awesome! Love your shadows!

1 Like