Draw Along 2, Portrait #6

Here’s number 6. All the pencils (well, a lot of them!) 2H, mechanicals (HB & 2B) and all 3 Blackwings. Plus a teeny touch of white pastel pencil to make things pop on that gray toned paper.

8 Likes

Beautiful! :heart: You are making that toned paper sing!

3 Likes

oh geez…that frown. you sure captured it well

2 Likes

The Earthsworld squint/frown! :grin:

1 Like

I also needed a few pencils (HB, 2B, 6B). No way I can get so thin highlight for the wrinkles. Erasing did not work.
Also not so sketchy. That happens when you’re having fun and time to play.

5 Likes

Looks like you got some great details in there!

In real life the wrinkles are less prominent. Taking pictures in the evening isn’t the perfect moment. Normally after a drawing I turned the page and never looked back. With the ‘show and tell’ in this community I find that I look more in detail after finishing. A picture of my drawing shows ‘imperfections’ I otherwise did not noticed. Comparing with drawings from others is also educational.

2 Likes

Thanks @becky.way. Just for fun I made the twin brother with Wolff’s carbon. Indeed a little messier than graphite, more like charcoal without the dust. Very quick and dark.
Where did I hide the tracer paper!

4 Likes

Very nice, Kyra! I prefer the graphite also, but the carbon is fun for a change occasionally.

1 Like

I only used HB pencil on this drawing. Looking at it now makes me think that I needed to go darker. Anybody else hesitant about going too dark?

4 Likes

Absolute afraid! And when I go dark, I forget to darken the middletones. All leading to not so smooth transitions. But we will get there! Just carry on to the next enjoyable portrait.

3 Likes

Absolutely! And I always feel I don’t go dark enough. Only way I can get any kind of dark is to make light layers over and over and over.

3 Likes

This is the kind of drawing I like to do when I’m stressed, pencil and paper and an interesting face settles me. I used mostly blackwing matte, some finger smudging and finished with a 3H

4 Likes

I start out too dark almost always then it’s a balancing act to get the midtones correct. I start a drawing and tell myself to “start light, Jill, layer layer layer” I need yo listen to myself more lol

4 Likes

I am working on my patience with layer layer layer approach. I keep telling myself to enjoy the process and don’t be in a hurry to be finished.

3 Likes

Enjoying the process is why we do art!!

3 Likes