Draw Along 2, Portrait #5

Portrait #5 came out looking like a young Eddie Murphy back in his SNL days!

9 Likes

Wow! Great drawing! I think this is my favorite series. And you are doing amazing drawings!!

3 Likes

Thx Becky! Yes, France’s courses just keep getting better & better!

3 Likes

Judy… do you use any smudging tool? your pencil sketches are so soft on the base. makes me want to reach into the screen and touch the skin!

1 Like

I used to all the time, but haven’t in ages!

France asks regularly if we see something specific during the course. I don’t always see the little details. For example in this portrait the highlight in the eye. Somehow I missed the idea of zooming in on the photo!
For the global sketch I like the photo the same size as my drawing, loosing some of the details. Zooming out by means of squinting I did practice. Learning every day.
This is my portrait #5, with help of zooming in and out.

5 Likes

Fantastic! Sometimes I’ll be deep into a drawing and finally see something I didn’t before—and it makes all the difference!

2 Likes

Beautiful drawing, Kyra!

2 Likes

Here is my attempt at portrait 5.

4 Likes

I used a 1.6mm Bic for the blue color I wanted. Still having trouble figuring out exactly how I should cross hatch and usually if I take breaks in between sit down sessions I change it up. Definitely need to go lighter, but then it’s too late! Lol

4 Likes

I have a really hard time going light with the 1.6mm Cristals. I’m much happier using the 1.0 or the even thinner .8mm Bic 4-colors! I save the Cristal’s for large dark areas.

1 Like

Agree about using the 1.6s sparingly!

1 Like

Nice effect you got with going very dark against the white of the paper for the light areas.
I can only get light marks with a 1.6 mm when holding the pen relative flat where you get the sound of ‘scratching’ the paper.

2 Likes