Draw Along 2, Portrait #4

Here’s portrait 4—the scarf person with all the folds! My 2H pencil was the hero of this drawing. I almost didn’t use it, but I’m so glad I did. I love drawing from the Earthsworld photos I normally wouldn’t choose myself. As I always say, France is the best reference photo picker out there!

11 Likes

Great cloth folds!! Beautiful!

2 Likes

You’re on a roll! Love the folds and the clean highlights.

2 Likes

I totally agree with the fascinating photo. It took some time to draw and all the folds were a little confusing. But thanks to France’s advices the portrait is realistic enough for me. Used 3H, HB and 2B pencil.

7 Likes

Yes you’ve achieved some nice volume underneath these folds too. Bravo!!

1 Like

It IS so realistic! Beautifully done, Kyra!

2 Likes

Absolutely in agreement! Realism over accuracy. you did great in creating the darks under the folds. that really brings out the highlights

1 Like

Thanks. It was a bit of struggle to get a nice value range with these pencils. I go back to my Pitt Graphite Matt. And maybe I should also try paper with a little bit more tooth. This paper is very smooth.

Portrait 4 drawn with HB graphite. This one was more challenging than I expected and didn’t come out as‘polished’ as I wanted. I need to work on the slow build up of value. Lessons learned, Patience and practice makes progress.

6 Likes

You came with a realistic portrait. To confirm the higher range of values I scanned the picture with the See Value app. For the scarf to appear you need at least 4 values. The first 3 portraits of this course you should be fine with 3 to convey a realistic portrait. We definitly learn a lot.
Have fun with portrait 5!

3 Likes

The See Value app is new to me. I will have to take a look at it.

I hardly ever use it. You triggered me when you spoke about building values. What I do use is the black filter in the photo app. Not that I always go back to the drawing to correct the values, but it is educational.

1 Like

H, HB, 2B and Blackwing matte in Moleskine sketchbook. Really would have been better on tinted paper to get those amazing lights in the glasses.

6 Likes

This one was very challenging. Those folds, crazy making! My husband and I spent a week on the East Coast last week and, as always, I bring a sketchbook and pencils. I drew half in our hotel room and finished at home. I never draw out in public. Wish I had more courage to do that.

5 Likes

I loved drawing the folds. But I forgot that this paper gives me a hard time with pencil.
And I had to struggle to make this Lady not look like Michael Jackson with a scarf. :joy:

6 Likes

The scarf is beautiful!

3 Likes